I have resolved my problem with comcast.net and other hosts.  It was
NOT the underscore issue.  It was (you guessed it) my SPF record.  The
_correct_ SPF entry for AppEngine apps that use a custom domain and
send mail is;

v=spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com ~all

There are a number of discussions in this group that point to a Google
Apps Admin Help page that shows SPF entry that looks like this:
v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

That is NOT a correct entry.  When I removed that entry and added the
one above, the issue resolved itself.  If found the correct entry by
examining tweetdeck.com's DNS records.  The are heavy users on
AppEngine's mail service, so I figured that they would have it right,
and they did.  Thank you tweetdeck.

The underscore issue is still a real issue, but is was not my issue.