What are you thinking of using the App Engine piece for? You can definitely
use it for accounts and chat via XMPP, but you won't be able to use App
Engine to stream video. You'll have to go with a peer to peer solution, in
which case it doesn't matter that App Engine can't run this library, since
you won't have App Engine doing anything with the video streams. App
Engine's role will be to match users.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Keller <keller.rina...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working with a few friends to design a desktop client that will
> have Skype-like functionality (think Chat roulette). We are planning
> on leveraging the App Engine to build it since we are so much more
> familiar with web programming anyway, then we're going to package it
> as a desktop client using Adobe Air.  In general, I am trying to get a
> sense for the easiest and fastest ways to build XMPP chat and video
> functionality into an App Engine app.
>
> I would really appreciate any ideas you guys might be able to throw
> our way. I've looked at libjingle (Google's videoconfereincing code),
> but am worried about how hard it will be to plug it into the App
> engine considering the fact that libjingle is C++. Is there some other
> kind of plug-in or add-on that would give us the ability to set up
> video conferences in a web app?
>
> Thanks very much for your help!
> Keller

Ikai Lan