Hi,

In order to add an address to your gmail account, you need to confirm it is
yours - so spammers still cannot use this to send an email from an account
they do not own.

A far simpler way to do this is to create a Google account for any valid
email address, at https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

<https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount>-Nick Johnson

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM, quodt <bernd.roe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today i noticed a strange behavior while trying to set a custom email
> address as sender. As far as i know a sender of an email can be the
> logged in user or any administrator of the application. Administrators
> of any Google AppEngine application must be either gmail adresses or
> valid email addresses of a google-apps domain (right?). ok so far.
> Since the email address i tried to send from is not an address of a
> google-apps domains i did a simple trick:
>
>  - I added a newly created gmail-address to the application and
> confirmed it. so the account was active for my application
>  - Then i added an alternative email address to that account (the
> address i try to sond from)
>  - Finally i removed the gmail service from the account so the
> previous alternative email address became the primary one
>
> What i've got was a naked google account with an email address of a
> foreign domain which has been approved as a valid administrator of my
> application.
>
> After that i tried to send mails with that infiltrated email address
> in the from-filed and it worked fine!
>
> Unfortunately, since i had this email address listed in my developers
> list of the application i was not able to confirm any further
> invitations.
>
> This seems to be a serious problem due to spam abuse.
>
> Regards, Bernd

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine Google Ireland Ltd. ::
Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047