mobile transaction networks or mobile commerce service providers such
as mBlox, OpenMArket, and Ericsson/IPX are really just aggregators
that serve as gateways between you and your customers. they maintain
relationships with the telcos so you don't have to as that is another
ball of wax that you don't want to deal with. however, there's a price
to pay for that service. here is a list of more mCSPs/MTNs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_commerce_service_provider

as ikai has already mentioned, they charge pretty significant fees for
both short codes as well as monthly access -- you pay slightly less if
you know the carrier since they don't have to do the lookup.

however, as far as the OP goes, for simple apps where you can't afford
the expenses of a complete system, emailing to an SMS gateway is the
best way to go. here is a list of what those addresses are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_carriers_providing_SMS_transit

to maximize your 160-char limit, i would only put in the most critical
mail headers... drop everything else. i've had to play this game
before as i built an entire SMS service at a previous job... it
occupied the space b/w an mCSP/MTN, our search engine, and our users
on a cell phone. it was expensive, wasn't sexy, but cool to see our
customers putting it to good use.

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
   http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wesc+api-at-google-dot-com
developer relations :: google app engine
@app_engine :: googleappengine.blogspot.com