Azure platform is very pricey at the moment in comparison to GAE. You
don't pay for compute time (ie the amount of time you are processing
stuff) but clock time (ie the amount of time your app is available).
The end result is that to have your app available 24x7 for a whole
year will cost you around $1000 even if it's doing nothing. Compare
that to GAE which is free within certain limits. Azure has it's uses,
but is not for hobbyists or small web apps. Plus GAE is really
straightforward and fun to use. It's much quicker to get things done
because Google take care of so much for you. Azure is probably more
similar to Amazon's offering, but really sits somewhere in between I
think.

A side note: occasionally there are comments moaning about GAE
constraints. Personally I feel constraints in this form are
liberating. Google has made all the important choices for me regarding
architecture, allowing me to concentrate on functionality. If I don't
like their choices I can go elsewhere.