I found by myself a useful workaround, which is not perfect (correct
redirection would be better) but works.
Simply construct the logout link to redirect to _ah/openid_logout
again (I think this should work also redirecting to a custom URL
hosting the logout page).

String requestBase = <url of the app>
String logoutURL =
UserServiceFactory.getUserService().createLogoutURL(requestBase + "/
_ah/openid_logout?continue="+request.getRequestURI());

This handles automatic redirect correctly.