Thanks for the quick reply. REST api or some sort of RPC services will
sort my problem with get or set device. But the problem now is that I
have client GUI app running in browser. So I would probably need to
write some sort of Comet code on the browser side. And everything
happening on the hardware side must have effect in the app running in
browser without refreshing. I must also have in mind that the browser
will be running for couple of days constantly. So memory leakages will
probably be a problem.

Architecture of the system is like this:

Lamps (with remote control capabilities) <----> embedded pc with lan
<----> GAE services <----> UI written in HTML, JS

A while ago I solved this problem with writing a socket daemon and
server was than able to connect to socket and communication was
instant. But Sockets are not supported in GAE as far as I understand.
And also Websockets are not fully supported.

I hope this explains my situation a bit more. Thanks in advance.