Hey, I had an idea about optimizing for logged in users and wanted
input from others how they do it.

First of all, my first priority when developing a web site is not to
optimize resource usage. My #1 priority is to experienced latency (for
the visitor) of the site as low as possible.

It's very common for sites to allow users to log in. This gives the
user a session. You usually store this session id as a cookie, and
then you fetch the user from the datastore using this session id,
every request.

My idea is this:
Instead of the session id, you store an AES encrypted (using a server-
side secret key) copy of the user data in a cookie. This data also has
a timestamp so that it can be invalidated. This should reduce the
number of datastore requests drastically (or memcache requests if you
put the session data there). It will use more CPU and bandwidth, but
overall it should speed up the user experience.

What do you guys think? Does this seem to be a good way of reducing
the experienced latency, or can you think of better ways?