Hi Jason,

The current implementation of the datastore mapper uses lexicographical
sharding over keys to assign datastore shards. Unfortunately, this can lead
to very inconsistent shard sizes, as you observe.

-Nick Johnson

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Jason C <jason.a.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been using MapReduce for App Engine for a couple of different
> jobs.
>
> Typically, we use 8 shards (the default), but it seems that only 3,
> sometime 4, of the shards have any items in them? E.g., we're
> currently running one job and three of the shards have >218,000 items
> processed, but the other 5 shards appear to have zero.
>
> I can understand that a particular key distribution would have
> different amounts in each shard, but with so many at zero, I suspect
> there is something else happening?
>
> BTW, we have applied the mapreduce-recommended __key__ DESC index, but
> we still see this strange shard distribution.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine Google Ireland Ltd. ::
Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047