>From my understanding this error happens when a request hits an
application instance but is put on a queue and becomes stale before
other requests in front of it get out of the way and execute.

Doesn't your cron job have to fire every second in order to keep the
application alive? I thought that 1 request per second is the keep-
alive boundary. It's somewhere around there. How often does your cron
execute?