I've uploaded about 1.4 million objects made of a Long and a String
(12 characters on average) today over the span of 6/7 hours. I could
not use the bulk uploader since I need my Java objects to use real
Long id's and not string's as id's. The upload process would bulk up
500 data items and make one POST request sending the data gzipped. The
servlet unzips the data, builds up a collection (fwiw, I'm using an
ArrayList) and then submitting all 500 objects in one fell swoop.

So far, I think that this process is normal; if not please do let me
know.

Now my observations are as such:
1. Inserting 500 objects is taking about 30+ seconds (per the logs in
the data store).
2. Nearly 3,000 page loads occurred using up 24.97 CPU/hours (24.76
CPU/hours worth in the datastore).

Now this is not a lot of data. After everything has loaded into the
datastore it's on the order of 20 megabytes. (Note that no indexes
exist for this data.)

Are these observations relatively common? Or is this only because of
the recent issues of the datastore? If this is not common, does anyone
know what I should expect in terms of cpu usage for something as
simple as saving this small amount of data?

Nate

P.S. Is there a convenient way to query for something that matches one
condition or another? (like query * where __key__ = KEY(..., 1) or
__key__ = KEY(..., 2))