Can you clarify what you're doing?

The following thing works correctly, anyway:

-Send the email using the Mail API setting
* The user's address as the sender
* The intended address (e.g. "admins") as the receiver

When you receive the email at the destination address (e.g. your
address if you're an admin) you can reply to it as if it were sent by
the user from their favorite mail agent.
I use the method above (actually, the email is sent to a public Google
group of which I'm part) and my replies are correctly handled in the
user's inbox (all Google Mail). Threading is handled by user's agent.
Gmail works fine for sure, but it's not something you can control.

Regards
Lorenzo