Hi Wesley

Just some feedback - it isn't great when the downtime happens 30
minutes after the scheduled downtime.

For our website www.shoesofprey.com, we display a banner for 1.5 hours
after the scheduled downtime. Posting that message 30 minutes prior
makes us seem foolish, and it also means if the maintenance goes over,
then we don't have the proper banner up.

A solution would be to introduce a new API call: something like
appengine.in_maintenance_window()

That way we could just call that on every request, and display a
window alerting users that the website is offline - or even redirect
to a "we're offline for a little while" placeholder. That call should
be extremely fast - so calling it on every request should have no
overhead.

That's a much better solution than having to wait for a write to fail,
from a customer expectations point of view...

Thanks guys.

Mike