In the doc: Java Servlet Environment > Logging, this statement
appears:

Everything the servlet writes to the standard output stream
(System.out) and standard error stream (System.err) is captured by App
Engine and recorded in the application logs. Lines written to the
standard output stream are logged at the "INFO" level, and lines
written to the standard error stream are logged at the "WARNING"
level.

This isn't happening for me: none of my app's (development) System.out
messages appear, even when I set the Console Main > Logs severity to
Debug.  Note that I have a logging.properties file in WEB-INF whose
content is

.level = INFO

and my appengine-web.xml contains

<system-properties>
        <property name="java.util.logging.config.file" value="WEB-INF/
logging.properties"/>
</system-properties>

What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance,