Frankly, after 3 months of development we decided to drop JDO and JPA at all.
They simply doesn't fit in a NoSql model like the one used by gae.
Basically if you're considering gae just a container "in the cloud"
better moving to more standard services, like the ones offered by
amazon. J2EE stack and all. But they won't ever scale massively.
If you really want to try an app blazing fast and scalable, my
personal suggestion for a serious application is to forget JDO and
study the native api, much simpler and faster.

JDO could be useful to quickly start with some micro app.

cheers

Uberto