Not to pick hairs but 700 seems to be a rather paltry, minuscule number.

Personally, I never thought Wave was such a great idea though some aspects
of it were interesting. I would think that Google might salvage some of its
component technology and incorporate the bits into services which it could
use in its own apps or even open source them as individual services hosted
on their infrastructure. But this is purely my own conjecture.

Regarding appengine, I would hope that Google will now be able to spend more
of its resources on making it more resilient and usable. Upping the quotas
on cpu and timeout intervals would be a good place to start. Another sorely
needed addition would be to add support to the datastore for true inter
entity joins. That last one is a biggie but it would make implementations of
some design patterns much easier such as fan-out and fan-in. As it now
stands, using child listindex entities to support syndication on a huge
scale (1M fan-out) or even on a semi-huge scale (thousands) requires way too
many levels of indirection. If true joins were supported at the datastore
level it would be a rather simple and efficient process.

Maybe Wave's demise will wind up benefiting us all if Google channels some
of that energy into making AppEngine a much better platform.

Just my $0.02.

Jeff

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Geoffrey Spear <geoffsp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 12:56 am, Jaroslav Záruba <jaroslav.zar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, I know this is not the proper place for discussions about
> Wave,
> > but I can't resists to express my frustration about *Google* here. How
> > possibly could Wave have had any decent number of users when no one knew
> > about it? :(
> > That's all, I'm sorry.
>
> Sure, no one ever heard of it; that's why everyone was begging for
> invites in the early days and there are over 700 stories on its demise
> available through Google News.
>
> The fact is that it wasn't really usable as the email/IM/word
> processing replacement it was billed as, public waves got predictably
> slow, and the really cool "see what the other person types while
> they're typing it" feature that was innovative 20 years ago when ytalk
> did it isn't really all that attractive if you're a bad typist or self-
> edit after you type something you really shouldn't say.
>
> App Engine doesn't suffer from the same low adoption problem, and even
> if it did, it's usefulness has nothing to do with the number of people
> using it; no one was going to use Wave if their friends weren't on it
> to talk to (and Buzz may suffer the same fate for the same reason).
> No one cares if their friends are using the same webapp hosting as
> they are, so GAE's growth isn't dependent on it's existing size.

Jeff