Hi Jessi,

When you want to add a domain that is an alias domain to your app, you need
to enter the name of the main domain in the App Engine control panel. You'll
then be given the opportunity to choose which aliased domain you want to
associate it with.

-Nick

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Jessi <jessida...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> and then set up three more app engine accounts for them.   I'm
> guessing since Google puts limits on the number of app engine apps
> that opening free google apps accounts would be a terms of use
> violation.
>
> I don't mind paying, I don't mine making company.com billing enabled.
> I just want to be able to operate the other apps on different
> domains.
>
> ---
>
> I thought I had a solution, when I noticed that I could register
> domain aliases in google apps.  So I took one of my spare domains,
> created a simple test project in google apps.  I registered the domain
> as an alias in google apps and uploaded the app engine app and then
> went to the administration for the app engine app and entered the
> domain.  The "Add Domain..." seems to redirect to google apps which
> gives me:
>
> "Server error
> Sorry, you've reached a login page for a domain that isn't using
> Google Apps. Please check the web address and try again"
>
> The help page on this error says you can "only login to google apps on
> your primary domain."  This implies that this method wont' work.
>
> ---
>
> I could, of course, just CNAME www.music.com to music.appspot.com.
> I've seen elsewhere that this doesn't work and you need to cname to
> ghs.google.com.  The core issue, though, is that when the servers on
> googles side get the web request for a domain that is aliased to
> ghs.google.com they need to have a way to look up which appengine app
> is associated with the name that was aliased.
>
> This lookup should not be very difficult, and this is what is
> happening when you set up your domain under google apps.
>
> But there seems to be no other way to set up a domain so that
> ghs.google.com knows which app engine app to run, and therefore, there
> seems to be no way to have app engine apps on multiple domains other
> than the one for which you have an apps account.
>
> I don't see the technical problem here.
>
> So, does google really want me to create multiple Goolge Apps
> accounts?   Since this would involve going out and buying prepaid
> cellphones in order to have a unique cell id to get the SMS
> "verification" happening .... it all seems shady and like I'm routing
> around what google wants me to do.
>
> Or is it Googles intention to say you can do multiple App Engine Apps,
> they just can only be on one second level domain?
>
> I understand App Engine is in beta, but we're several years in.  I'm
> working on a production business for which App Engine is the best
> solution.     But this issue is one which I would be willing to go
> elsewhere over in order to have the right domain name.
>
> I figured that I should ask in case there was a solution, because it
> is clear by the fact that I'd have to buy new cellphones that google
> doesn't support the only method I can think of to do this and use App

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine Google Ireland Ltd. ::
Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047