Hi,

I have been trying to optimize the App Engine application my team is
working on. As I read on Google's documentation,

1 megacycles = 1/1200 cpu seconds

And if I a check how many megacycles it takes to load an empty sinlge
page without any templates using webapp.py, it takes 0 megacycles.
However, the amount of cpu miliseconds used for the request usually
becomes around 200 ms. That's understandable because of the overheads
of the request.

However, I see that when I do like:

class SomePage(..):
def get(self):
        start = quota.get_request_cpu_usage()
        # do some dense operations here...
        end = quota.get_request_cpu_usage()
        logging.info("the operation cost %d megacycles." % (start -
end))
        return

I can't see a relation btw the megacycles it takes and the cpu
miliseconds used. According to the equation above, 1200 megacycles = 1
cpu second, and if the result of the operation is 2400 megacycles, it
means that it should equal to 2 cpu seconds. Let's say there is an
overhead occuring even if we load an empty page or whatever, and then
it should equal to 2400 + 200 = 2600 ms

However, the logs of the request says that it takes much more than 2
cpu secs, more like 7000 or 9000 cpu milisecs.

Why is this occuring?

Thanks