I would like to create an aggregator that would retrieve on a set
interval RSS feeds from a list of feeds and optionally filter/alter/
categorize/etc the feeds retrieved, let's call this the "big list".
Then I would like to retrieve the "big list" to read in Thunderbird
(or some other application of choice).

I want to do it this way since Thunderbird may not always be on (my
computer will not always be on) and I think RSS retrieves latest
entries which may exclude older entries that you haven't seen.

I believe an aggregator is quite doable with Google AppEngine, please
correct me if I'm wrong. However, I'm not quite sure how to approach
the problem of defining what's new. I'm guessing the client retrieves
and based on what it already has marks entries as new but how would I
know in my aggregator what has been retrieved and what hasn't (without
a manual process)?