Using the latest high performance image serving feature, for the dev
server (java), if the serving image has "invalid" width or crop width,
it will give error. However when it's in production, the width are not
restricted to the valid sizes.

Valid sizes as documented:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/images/ImagesService.html#SERVING_SIZES

Invalid in dev:
http://fakehost.com/_ah/img/rKCcon1tsDsyz4SIbNmqIQ=s30-c

Valid in production:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/K_QfosnwRsOu7ScSTd7yoebFFYzYRjv-I6H3mE3PkOtzDOu-v5zpkpL-wmqQv_Yb94w5i9HCxA8QgE7RCG-hHw=s30-c

The above production url shows width of 30 pixel for crop size is
possible, while in dev server it will throw an exception.

Is there any reason why we must constraint ourselves with the
limitation?

If production has no such limit I will go with crop sizes like 30 or
50 instead of 32 and 48.

Thanks!