http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/queriesandindexes.html#Introducing_Queries

See "Query Filters". Should answer your how-to question.

In the backend it actually does two separate queries, but in parallel (then
does any merging/union-ing based on your entire query after retrieving the
results). There are some google tech talks on how the datastore works which
should give you a really good idea why it is done this way.