I think I have this right, so hopefully to clarify:

1) You get the upload URL for an HTML form for your user to upload the
image.  Part of forming that uploading URL is to identify the handler
code (e.g., Servlet in Java)
2) Your handler code gets called by the Blobstore after the upload is
complete and that handler can work with the uploaded data and you'll
work with the the key for the blob
3) Your handler sends a redirect command back to the user's browser
directing them to the page they need to go to for status/results.
That redirect URL generally includes a parameter identifying which
blob upload (it's key) you're dealing with.
4) The user's browser is redirected to that page, where your code uses
the blobstore key (from the URL parameter) to process and in your case
return the OCR data.

So from the client point of view, they submit a forum with a file
upload part, and they get redirected to the page that provides the
results.

Someone please correct if necessary.