This issue has been raise here many times before.
It is caused by many third party API's imposing per IP quota
restrictions.
Since all app engine's applications are served from a limited number
of IP addresses you have to share this quota with other applications
using same API.
Although I am using  google's geocode in a small application myself
and had no problem so far.
For some ideas and  possible solutions may be you can take a look
here:
http://gaengine.blogspot.com/2010/05/google-maps-api-quotas-and-app-engine.html
and here:
http://gaengine.blogspot.com/2010/07/app-engine-google-geocoding-service-ii.html