What is the average response time from your app for normal requests?

If it is > 1000 msec, the GAE appears to become reluctant to start up
new VM's for you, the result being that requests queue up, and after
some period in the queue, are deemed "stale" and get kicked with this
error.

Want to test this assumption?  Flood your app with no-op requests that
don't do anything (use a URL no one would normally use, and just
return from the GET call).  If you have enough of these (simplest no-
op returns in < 50 msec), the math shifts your average to below 1000
msec, and presto.

It's a stupid solution to what's either an outright bug or an
overzealous  resource manager behind GAE, but it sure seems to cure
these.