I just saw a rash of timeouts (actually, Download Error 5 from an
urlfetch, which appears to be DEADLINE_EXCEEDED).

This was after 5 seconds or so, in a task queue operation that does
nothing apart from a single urlfetch.

The timings logged for the request are all around 5 seconds:
 ms=5276 cpu_ms=525 api_cpu_ms=0 cpm_usd=0.029958 queue_name=event-
notify task_name=16139988366227500260
The same request typically takes milliseconds.

It just occurred between these times:
24/Sep/2010:09:26:09 -0700
24/Sep/2010:09:37:53 -0700