I too was very happy to see the downtime notify email today!  I'm very
glad to know that the Googlers are on the case!

One suggestion I have as to the status page, is possibly add a monitor
that reports the # of 500's received per day...As in, the status page
requests a random page from your sample app(this page requires a get/
put to the datastore).  An accurate number of random 500's, such as
DeadlineExceeded are reported.  That way I can tell if my app's
deadline exceeded rates are par for the course or maybe I need to look
at my code.

I'm sure this would not be welcomed as if it were accurate it couldn't
look good to the public/press, but I think this could be a very useful
way to determine if elevated error levels are localized or being
experienced GAE wide.

For me, the datastore latency graphs are not extremely useful.  When
they are red-lining, they may be in the 800ms range.  I don't quite
understand how an 800ms datastore latency causes my app to fail with
DeadlineExceeded (30000ms).  I have yet to see a datastore latency
graph showing a y-axis up to 30000ms.