We've checked our billing history and the usage report for the day in
question states that we've sent around 12,000 messages.

It seems that only a small percentage of the emails were actually sent
out because:

a) non of the email to our own test email accounts were received for
this campaign (in the past this worked flawlessly)
b) we're using a counting mechanism (that's based on a invisible small
image that counts actual reads) that gave us the information that only
100 emails were actually read from the 12,000 emails we've sent out.
In past campaigns around 50% of the emails were actually read by our
customers.
c) In past we've received several auto-reply and in-vacation-reply
messages and actual customer requests. But this time we've received
only one of these messages.

Is there anyone at google who can comment on this issue?

Thanks,
Bob