Two workarounds that we know of:

a) make each task execution run in under 1 sec.  This actually solves
the problem.  In practice this means respawning tasks, which is a
pain, but can generally greatly improve things

b) skew the execution time average.  If your tasks take 10 seconds to
run, you will need to mix in a few tasks that take a very short time,
to "fix" the average.  We found that a no-op task can run in as little
as 30-40 msec, so do your math.

Chances are you will need to do both, and you will still get some
500's anyway though, but in more manageable numbers (<10%)