Is the virtual map bounded in some way?  I guess the map is on a
Cartesian plane?  What will be the "density" of objects on the map?
One per pixel?  One million per pixel?

You might want to check out the approach taken in geomodel.  The basic
ideal is that each object has a set of points stored with it.  Each
set of points has less precision than the previous set of points.
Using that type of approach it is possible to identify a "small" set
of objects that _might_ be within some radius of a particular point.
http://code.google.com/p/geomodel/

Robert