I'm not completely clear on what you are trying to do and the
specifics of the interactions.  My best understanding is that you have
a user initiated POST operation that is happening from a window whose
domain is different from that of an iframe that it contains.   You
want to communicate the results of the POST to your application in the
iframe.  If I've got that right what I don't understand is what you
have programming control over.  If have programming control over the
containing window, you can probably use a number of methods including
JSONP to communicate back to the iframe.  If you don't control the
containing window I think you're stuck with polling from your iframe
application.  Polling the app engine application for changes is far
from ideal.  The thing that I would try first is to have to your post
redirect set a cookie that indicates that a post just occurred.  Then
I think you could poll for that cookie from your iframe JavaScript
without leaving the browser.

This is on the bare edge of my cross-browser scripting knowledge, so
hopefully someone will either confirm or call BS if I'm leading you
down the wrong path.

John