Thanks for the new Instances dashboard - it's neat to know.  I'm
curious though, why are so many instances running?

I have one (java) app that gets a steady 0.5 hits/s, and another
(python) app that gets a steady 2.5 hits/s.

The 0.5 hits/s Java app is running 4 instances.
The 2.5 hits/s Python app is running 6 instances.

Obviously I don't mind that Google devotes so many resources to
serving my application, but it does seem odd.  Does GAE need this many
instances to serve so few requests?  If my Java app surges to 50
hits/s, will I consume 400 instances??

Thanks,
Jeff