If you do this many request to memcache you have a couple of hot
instances of your app.
Maybe if your memory footprint will allow you can cache some of them
in memory first and use memcache as an L2 cache.
This will reduce the calls and data transfer.
Only cache stuff in memory that is somewhat 'static' in content.