I think (didn't try, but I'm planning to port an app to marketplace
too, so I'm investigating) that your universal navigation bar cannot
be manually upgraded.
The only way to do it is automatic, by submitting the app in the
marketplace (of course, paying the $100 fee). Then you can do test
installation in your domain, and your navigation bar should be
updated.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/apps-apis/thread?tid=77844ece5f522630&hl=en
The answer here seems to confirm that it cannot be done.

Regards
Lorenzo