Hi,

I've been trying to understand how CPU usage is calculated / billed.
Because I could not correlate the amounts consumed with what I
expected, I set up a special handler which just returns a 200
response, nothing else.  I then set up a cron job to call that special
url every couple minutes.

As an example, the cron called the URL 5 consecutive times.  During
that time no other users were using this application.  I also checked
each call and none of them indicated that they were responsible for
starting a new instance.  Across these I had an average 102cpu_ms
consumed with a staggeringly high standard deviation of 100cpu_ms.

You can see the actual calls from my log here:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/694c40.jpg

Google, are you actually measuring my CPU usage per call?  Or are you
doing something like the water department where you only measure the
total consumed every X number of calls and just sort of guess the ones
in between?

--Steve