I think there might have been a misunderstanding regarding parallel seconds
of api time & how that actually plays out as far as billing is concerned.
With that confusion out of the way I'd answer your question regarding the
merits of AppEngine's scalability with a big YES. Like my mom used to say,
"nothing in life is really free so why should this one be?"

:)

Jeff

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Stephen Johnson <onepagewo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Why do you say that's silly? If your map reduce task does bulk deletes and
> let's say they do 100 at a time, then those 100 deletes are done in
> parallel. So that's 100x. So for each second of delete real time you're
> getting 100 seconds of CPU time.  You should be pleased that instead of your
> task taking 11 hours to delete all your data it took only 15 minutes. Isn't
> that scalability? Isn't that what you're looking for? How many entities did
> you delete? How many indexes did you have (composite and single property)?
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Erik <erik.e.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If you check in the datastore viewer you might be able to find and
>> delete your jobs from one of the tables.  You may also need to go into
>> your task queues and purge the default.
>>
>> On this topic, why does deleting data have such a large difference
>> between actual time spent and billed time?
>>
>> For instance, I had two mapreduce shards running to delete data, which
>> took a combined a total of 15 minutes, but I was actually charged for
>> 11(!) hours.  I know there isn't a 1:1 correlation but a >40x
>> difference is a little silly!
>>

>> On Nov 14, 4:25 am, Justin <justin.worr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've been trying to bulk delete data from my application as described
>> > here
>> >
>> > http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/creatinggettin.
>> ..
>> >
>> > This seems to have kicked off a series of mapreduce workers, whose
>> > execution is killing my CPU - approximately 5 mins later I have
>> > reached 100% CPU time and am locked out for the rest of the day.
>> >
>> > I figure I'll just delete by hand; create some appropriate :delete
>> > controllers and wait till the next day.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately the mapreduce process still seems to be running - 10
>> > past midnight and my CPU has reached 100% again.
>> >
>> > Is there some way to kill these processes and get back control of my
>> > app?
>>
>> --
>>

>  --

*Jeff Schwartz*