Hi Will,
  Here are a few of my thoughts and suggestions.

  The datastore will occasionally have spikes in latency / error
rates, for reasons outside of your apps control.  Your best bet for
dealing with periods of increased latency is to optimize your
requests.  It sounds like you have a good handle on what your app is
doing, but a little addition review never hurts -- use Appstats to
profile your RPCs.  Appstats is great for making sure no unexpected
calls are being made and for identifying spots that need some
optimization.

  It also sounds like you might need to handle error's a little
differently.  Maybe you should catch those errors and defer writing
the entity using the task-queue, if possible.  And/Or return feedback
to the client that the save failed; if the client is a browser at
least let the user know the save failed so their data is not
_unexpectedly_ missing.

  Also, what are your apps cold start times like?  If your app takes a
long time to bring up a new instance that could cause problems.  There
are several things you could try, such as minimizing start-up time
imports.

Robert