I finally found the reason for this error. It is java.sun.com server
that is failing to serve the DTD file we reference in our web.xml. It
seems sun (now Oracle) servers for http are not serving well these
days, maybe it is related with Oracle migrating java web servers to
new platform.

I solved this problem referencing https://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd
(SSL secured version) instead of the original
http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd
in the web.xml file (DOCTYPE definition)

There is another possibility: you can use and reference a local copy
of this DTD file, see here how to do it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4195022/local-copy-of-http-java-sun-com-dtd-web-app-2-3-dtd/4203934#4203934

Eduardo G.