Hi Julian,

Long running user facing requests are bad for the ecosystem, yes. Long
running background tasks, however, can be placed into a different execution
pool. Fast background tasks are placed into the same execution pool as your
web facing requests.

The rule of thumb here is to create different queues for tasks you know will
run fast (sub-second) and queues for slow running jobs.

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com