Change the web.xml and remove the reference to the DTD.
The problem may actually not be from the appengine but from the
java.sun.com server... I also faced this issue several times and found
that everytime the dashboard / appengine server was up. On scruitiny,
I found that the problem was caused because the java.sun.com server
was not available (after aquisition by Oracle).

You can change the "<!DOCTYPE web-app...><web-app>" lines to one line
as follows follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app version="2.4" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>