Hi Tim,

In the (current) absence of any answers by more educated people than
me, I allow myself to post to this thread.

In case you don't know, there's a sample app using channels:

http://code.google.com/p/dance-dance-robot/
http://dance-dance-robot.appspot.com/

I haven't looked at the code yet, but I assume that it might answer
some questions like:

o uniqueness requirement for channel IDs
o requirement of channel message clean-up

(I assume there would be some code to be found that manages these
requirements).

Otherwise, if your assumptions are correct (i.e. a channel can only be
connected by one single client), your strategy looks sound as far as I
can tell. Even in the absence of a uniqueness requirement, it may be
useful to be able to identify each client individually, at the cost of
some house-keeping, of course. What I can't tell is how the quantity
of opened channels scales, meaning if there's some drawback creating
lots of channels. But if the channel API should be useful (which I
hope), there should be no problems with using it for many clients.

Cheers, R.