Latency should be generally significantly less than 500ms (that's not
a guarantee, but it's what I've been seeing in my end-to-end tests).

Channel set-up time (the time between when you call
goog.appengine.Channel.open and when your socket.onopen callback gets
called) can be longer, sometimes up to 10 seconds or so.

There are no reliability guarantees -- messages can be dropped or
delivered out of order, but that should be the exceptional case rather
than a normal case. If you have an application which _requires_ all
messages to be delivered (eg. you're sending deltas to some complex
data structure) you will need to add sequence numbers and checks
yourself (though please feel free to file a feature request about this
if you'd like).