I also see
Configuration "webapp_add_wsgi_middleware" not recognized
i) in dev, a single error message upon starting dev_appserver.py,
using SDK 1.4.0, but not 1.3.8
ii) in production, many error messages
This occurs using the demo code for either appstats or gae-sessions,
both of which call
def webapp_add_wsgi_middleware(app) in appengine_config.py

Both appstats and gae-sessions seem to still function