I have a similar issue. After having tested my app with thousands of
users it now fails (performance wise) when serving just a few users.
Even if I just have 1 QPS incoming, it will boot up 10 instances and
all of the loading requests are user facing (note that 1 instance
would be more than enough to handle the traffic). When all those
instances are busy it will boot up new ones, and it will use the
warmup requests only sometimes for that.

It seems to me that the algorithm App Engine uses to determine how
many instances are needed for the current traffic is somewhat
flawed...