It works fine with Chrome 7 and Safari 5 on Windows XP in my app, no any
requests are sent after the first visiting.

Have you checked the static files if they had an "Expires" header?

Also don't enable resource tracking for webkit which will always request for
all the resources, just check the background logs.

keakon

My blog(Chinese): www.keakon.net
Blog source code: https://bitbucket.org/keakon/doodle/