Hi Noel,
  People often want static content cached -- it reduces the load on
your app.  Also, there might be other intermediate caches to worry
about too, so it may not be only Google caching your content.

  Yes, you should use some type of cache busting strategy.  It depends
on how your iPhone app is implemented, but perhaps you can use a
version number on your assets so they can be changed between versions?

Robert