Hi Phil,
Perhaps I'm missing something in your questioning.
If you are referring to the "App Engine for Business", then a user is a
registered Google Apps user.
If you are referring to the plain Google App Engine, then you need to
measure the resources being consumed as defined by the billing system at
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/billing.html  Users are not metered on
this version.
I recommend you stick with the plain version unless your company is heavily
integrated with Google Apps and are writing an intranet application.

<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html>

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Phil G <phillip.gra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Google folks,
>
> We are about to launch into development, and we believe GAE represents
> our best choice of platform.  What remains unclear to us is the
> pricing structure, and that lack of clarity is our last impediment to
> fully committing to GAE development.  We are wondering if there is a
> timeline and/or update statement on these details available as we
> enter 2k11.
>
> Our business process will have a mobile app that calls GAE, and will
> also have a website front end that will also call a portion of the
> same data from GAE.  Our customers will be able to install the mobile
> app on many devices, all contacting the central GAE to push/pull
> data.  Our customers will also be able to access some of that same
> data through the website front end.
>
> Will GAE charge on a per-mobile basis, or will they charge on a per
> "user" basis.  If per user, what constitutes a "user?"  Is each Oauth
> consumer token a user?  Is our entire front end website a single user,
> or does each login to our website constitute a user?
>
> What about in the circumstances in which we host the website
> framework, but GAE functions as our backend data object source?  What
> If our customers also request a custom application that their
> customers then download, and which pulls data from the GAE repository,
> do these customers of our clients also consitute users?
>
> Hopefully people can see how these kinds of questions are important to
> have clarified, and also that they influence where, how, and how much
> of the development resides inside of GAE.
>
> We appreciate any light you can shed on the topic,
>
> -Phil G

-- A. Stevko