Even with ten-minute background tasks, your datastore RPC calls are
still limited to 30 seconds.  Also, if you're fetching a lot of
records and sending emails based on them, you might want to break it
up into smaller tasks anyway.  Smaller chunks should also help you
handle failures in a more graceful way; if you're trying to do this as
one big job, what do you do if it fails XX% of the way through?  You
may not have a good way to determine what XX is, so you can resend to
those XX% people or not send to the (1-XX)% of the people.

Robert