For most cases, you should create local data and use fixtures to load data.
However, if you must use live data, I would suggest uploading a new,
non-default version of your application. Different versions can share the
same datastore, so you can view/test your app against live data.

If you are planning on doing write operations, you can always use the
migration tools provided in the latest SDK to create a QA instance of your
app with live data.

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com