Have you got 'warmup requests' enabled in your app.yaml config file?
See
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/config/appconfig.html#Inbound_Services

How long does it take for an instance to load? You will find the times
(ms) in your log, search for Info message with "This request caused a
new process to be started..."

Perhaps you could speed up instance load times by reducing the amount
of precaching each instance does.

Regards
Dale