I recently activate the Always On feature to see if it would eliminate the
bottleneck associated with starting up an instance.  It works as
advertised.. and there is always instant response when firing up the app.

Something that I've now noticed has me questioning what kind of cost is
associated with the this feature.  I have a 4 simple (meaning datastore
requests and html) step process.  The Welcome jsp page gets the Google
current user and if one exists retrieves my account information for that
user (there is only 1 row in the account).  When the user activates the
update process, it validates again retrieves the current user, account and
then stores 1 row in a transaction table.  it the fires off an approved
message that does just that... no datastore activity... basically just a
"done" message.

I just tried this stream again this morning,which was about 8 hours since
the last time I tried it.  the results where that each of the 3 initial
steps consumed lots of cpu_ms (total over 25000 cpu_ms).  here are the stats
for those 3 pieces.

ms=29 cpu_ms=11257 api_cpu_ms=0 cpm_usd=0.312846
ms=211 cpu_ms=6985 api_cpu_ms=8 cpm_usd=0.194249
ms=157 cpu_ms=7035 api_cpu_ms=105 cpm_usd=0.195582

I then replicated the transaction again and got these stats.

ms=15 cpu_ms=257 api_cpu_ms=0 cpm_usd=0.007351
ms=42 cpu_ms=440 api_cpu_ms=0 cpm_usd=0.012383
ms=642 cpu_ms=471 api_cpu_ms=105 cpm_usd=0.013244

It seems like my always on feature is incurring cpu costs while waiting for the
next
request.  Can anyone shed light on this, or is it that i'm not understanding
the statistics
correctly.

Thanks.